This limestone sundial had sheared in two and the rusted iron cramps holding it to the wall at the top were now only barely gripping.
Luckily it was inspected in time and I was able to take it down before it fell. Just as well because it is 4m high above a stable entrance arch.
The two halves were pinned together and jointed using lime. The gnomon (metal style) was restored and repainted by specialists, I cleaned the face of the plate, and discovered and highlighted the markings with non-etching paint. It was replaced using stainless steel fixings.
The white stain is lime and stone from the repair. In a few years this will become less chalky and will no longer be noticeable
Looking forward to starting work on this Scottish baronial house in Fife, bonny bonny Scotland. Restoring aspects of the building to their full glory.
I carried out various stone replacement and repair here. This photo shows some repair work to the upper windows from a cherry picker, where loose stone was near to falling. The dark colour is the wet stone-lime repair which lightens and blends in when dry.
There is also a vertical crack in the window head lintol which we reinforced with pins and repointed.
This project in Monmouth, one of several restoration projects in the town, involved the replacement of a significant amount of Bath stonework around the quoins, plinth courses, gable copings, and finial crosses. We also cleaned and restored the internal faces of the Bath stone windows which had been coated in many layers of blue paint. Bare stone was a definite improvement. Most challenging was the project running through the winter of 2009-10, the freezing temperatures affecting lime and stone repair but with the Spring it all came together.