Cleaned, repaired, pointed, shelter coated these windows on a listed Victorian school house South Wales. On the left the lime-stone finish is almost dry, but the bottom half of the right hand window is still wet and I had no time to wait around for the perfect photo.
Luckily it was inspected in time and I was able to take it down before it fell. Just as well because it is 4m high above a stable entrance arch.
The two halves were pinned together and jointed using lime. The gnomon (metal style) was restored and repainted by specialists, I cleaned the face of the plate, and discovered and highlighted the markings with non-etching paint. It was replaced using stainless steel fixings.
The white stain is lime and stone from the repair. In a few years this will become less chalky and will no longer be noticeable
New stone mullion windows in conversion of stables to flats at an 1870’s stately home near Hay-on-Wye. The work required a careful adjustment within stone courses which form the outer jambs, and to be cut around steel supports behind the lintol profile, in order to provide appropriate elevation and sufficient height of casements for good views of the Black Mountains.
A repair was also carried out at the same location on a collapsed and broken Roman arch. Voussiors of the arch were pinned with stainless steel and repaired using Lithomex, three new sections were made and the arch was then rebuilt on site.
Worked on the roof of a Scottish mansion designed by Robert Lorimer. Repairing the damaged stonework on a baronial tower after the removal of an extended roof structure, and aided in the dismantling and reclamation of stone from the 1960s lift shaft below. The damage that was done to the building by the attachment of a modern structure included liberal coating of tar, cutting-off stonework unnecessarily, and ham-fisted cutting of stone where flashing was inserted. Thankfully this is all repairable.
A replacement corbel currently being replicated for this work. This component shows the semi-circular section of the astragals that Lorimer used throughout the building
Working on the roof with www.jonesandfraser.com traditional builders reconstructing the roof.
Beginning to restore this large 10 feet wide fireplace in a medieval farmhouse. The structural cracks in the large lintol and cheek stones have been reinforced with structural pins. All cement has been removed from joints. Excavation will follow in order to discover if a hearth remains at a lower level before reconstruction or replacement with a new hearth. This job has been completed in a beautiful transformation. Posts to follow soon.
This font, comprising some 30 Calne stone (similar to Bath stone) sections required careful dismantling from elsewhere in the building then a highly accurate rebuild in the new position you can see below. A very delicate job since the stone angles crumble just with hand pressure.
I carried out various stone replacement and repair here. This photo shows some repair work to the upper windows from a cherry picker, where loose stone was near to falling. The dark colour is the wet stone-lime repair which lightens and blends in when dry.
There is also a vertical crack in the window head lintol which we reinforced with pins and repointed.
This clock tower had an eroded Bath stone clock dial. Rolls Royce engineers repaired and remade parts of the derelict clock mechanisms, took the bells away and retuned them, and placed a new bell frame on the tower (the mansion was built by Charles Rolls family). While they were working on the mechanism I repaired the dial and other components, putting new eyes in the ends of the cross, putting reinforcing in to hold the clock face and frame, and cleaned all the stone on the tower including the vinework which was particularly coated in lichen. Needless to say they supplied me with the highest grade stainless steel for all my fixings.