Repairing Victorian stone windows

Making indent repairs to a stone window. The first picture shows the new pieces oversize pinned and resin-fixed into place, and the third one has been shaped.

The four cutout sections had been made when a greenhouse was fixed into it many years ago.

IMG_20140909_144051

The second picture below shows the near completed work with all indents cut to finished face. The repair includes the left-hand transom — the horizontal bar — that I put a stainless steel bar along to repair a complete crack at each of its ends. Where the second mullion meets the transom (in the top photo before it was filled) you can just see the black hole where the hole for the bar was drilled leftwards. This double cracked transom was loose but not removable so it was just pinned through lengthways and resin fixed and then used Lithomex to repair surface damages.

In a few years the repairs will be difficult to distinguish

IMG_20140909_172554

Dismantling and re-siting font St Peters Church, Hereford

This font, comprising some 30 Calne stone (similar to Bath stone) sections required careful dismantling from elsewhere in the building then a highly accurate rebuild in the new position you can see below. A very delicate job since the stone angles crumble just with hand pressure.

External Link

Osbaston Chapel

This project in Monmouth, one of several restoration projects in the town, involved the replacement of a significant amount of Bath stonework around the quoins, plinth courses, gable copings, and finial crosses. We also cleaned and restored the internal faces of the Bath stone windows which had been coated in many layers of blue paint. Bare stone was a definite improvement. Most challenging was the project running through the winter of 2009-10, the freezing temperatures affecting lime and stone repair but with the Spring it all came together.

OsbastonChapel

Osbaston Cross2