New stone mullioned windows and repaired arch two years on

The windows below are shown in an earlier post two years ago while being made. Here it is again slightly weathered. This job involved shaping existing walls into window jambs, making cills and inserting a lintol. This was conversion of a stable block to accommodation in a historic castle.

The arched doorway was repaired with new sections and Lithomex stone reconstitution in areas – the whole wall had collapsed and the remains of the arch pieces had to be carefully recovered. The wall above/behind the arch was not rebuilt by myself.

 

Repairing Victorian stone windows

Making indent repairs to a stone window. The first picture shows the new pieces oversize pinned and resin-fixed into place, and the third one has been shaped.

The four cutout sections had been made when a greenhouse was fixed into it many years ago.

IMG_20140909_144051

The second picture below shows the near completed work with all indents cut to finished face. The repair includes the left-hand transom — the horizontal bar — that I put a stainless steel bar along to repair a complete crack at each of its ends. Where the second mullion meets the transom (in the top photo before it was filled) you can just see the black hole where the hole for the bar was drilled leftwards. This double cracked transom was loose but not removable so it was just pinned through lengthways and resin fixed and then used Lithomex to repair surface damages.

In a few years the repairs will be difficult to distinguish

IMG_20140909_172554

Rebuilding vernacular masonry Golden Valley

 

Arch had dropped and wall bulged due to lack of bonding. Area cleaned out.

HillFarmExposed

 

Corner post of original Herefordshire cottage behind failed masonry. The stone had not been built around the post adequately. I rebuilt this section far more strongly. We now have diamond cutters that enable accurate shaping of the stone far more easily around such components

Corner post 2 Corner Post

 

Arch rebuilt with several new voussiors built deeply back into inner core of wall, all face stone above bonded (lapped over) stones on inner face, and corner repaired too. All the work uses natural lime putty and local aggregates to match the original construction mortar — as distinct from any facing pointing that may be done in future.

Hil Farm completion

Repaired sundial

IMG-20130911-01004This limestone sundial had sheared in two and the rusted iron cramps holding it to the wall at the top were now only barely gripping.

Luckily it was inspected in time and I was able to take it down before it fell. Just as well because it is 4m high above a stable entrance arch.

The two halves were pinned together and jointed using lime. The gnomon (metal style) was restored and repainted by specialists, I cleaned the face of the plate, and discovered and highlighted the markings with non-etching paint. It was replaced using stainless steel fixings.

The white stain is lime and stone from the repair. In a few years this will become less chalky and will no longer be noticeable

Lorimer’s Astragals

Worked on the roof of a Scottish mansion designed by Robert Lorimer. Repairing the damaged stonework on a baronial tower after the removal of an extended roof structure, and aided in the dismantling and reclamation of stone from the 1960s lift shaft below. The damage that was done to the building by the attachment of a modern structure included liberal coating of tar, cutting-off stonework unnecessarily, and ham-fisted cutting of stone where flashing was inserted. Thankfully this is all repairable.

Astragal

A replacement corbel currently being replicated for this work. This component shows the semi-circular section of the astragals that Lorimer used throughout the building

LiftshaftRemoval

Working on the roof with www.jonesandfraser.com traditional builders reconstructing the roof.

Demolished Gate Pier Restored

This gate pier, the right-hand gate attached to it, and a part of the wall itself, were demolished down to the foundations when a car missed the bend and hit the pier head-on. Luckily only a few stones suffered actual damage including the coping, if this had been concrete there would have been shearing effects all over it.

The right-hand gate was bent, this was straightened by www.kingtonforge.co.uk/ and while restoring the pier and its capital (coping) I worked with them refixing the hinges to provide a 10mm tolerance where the gates latch, including room for future adjustment as the wall settles over time. Broken stones were reused within the pier where damage is not visible, and parts of the work involved stainless steel pin repairs.

I understand that the driver walked away from the wreckage.

TheTowersGatePier